Sunday, April 09, 2006

it's now 6 o'clock on an autumnal Sunday eve, and a few hours aside, I have spent the entire weekend in the garage. I set out yesterday morning 'to tick a few thing off the list' and, many, many hours later, I have succeeded in a few little tasks:
- the little light in the boot now works
- fitted the new spat rubbers I bought ages ago at Scott's
- cleaned out the jacking tubes and liberally sprayed them with fish oil
- succeeded in making the driver's door fit a bit better (but the compromise is it's a bit stiff to open and needs a good slam to close ...)
- made the windscreen washers actually point at the windscreen and stay there (thanks to Loctite super-glue: how on earth do you get to the underside of the washers to tighten them?)
- and, after dismantling much of the dash, I have fixed the tell-tale 'ignition' light in the speedo. Actually, it probably wasn't broken in the first place, but what I did discover once I got the speedo out was that the lens for the light had been obscured by some melted plastic - the remains of the bulb surround which must have melted for some reason when the bulb got too hot.

What I haven't yet fixed is the heater - but I have worked out that it is missing a spring and a control wire (at least), so I've left it jammed into 'screen' position now so it'll demist the windscreen if necessary (it's not yet cold enough that I really need to worry about my toes!).

And as the battery pack for my drill has given up the ghost, I haven't yet drilled out the broken weld so I can try to re-affix the stud for the dash pad - I'm hoping that if I countersink it a bit it'll hold with epoxy glue. If not, I'll have to get it welded back on.

And what's all this industry in aid of, you cry?

The Daimler (and Lanchester) National Rally at Easter, of course!

Expect many a photo of Dame Zara's first appearance on a 'national' stage - although I think she'll demur at any suggestion she be entered in the Concours ... yet

No comments: