Tuesday, September 26, 2006

International fame!

I was deeply chuffed to find that this humble little blog was picked by Matt Wright, the editor of UK magazine Practical Classics, as his 'site of the day' (see the 6 September entry here). Not that I'd necessarily call 5000 carefree miles of motoring in eight months 'one man's battle' ... but you know journos and hyperbole!

Her Laydship was also pleased, but she has been expressing some concern lately about the state of her undercarriage: a nasty 'clonk' is heard/felt in the front when one is forced to hit a large bump, pothole or tram track; and she's developed a tendency to pull to the right under brakes.

The Pater Familias suspects it could be 'merely' a lower balljoint, but having poked my head underneath and seen the state of some of the many bushes and other rubbery bits that cushion the various bits of the front suspension and steering, I think a more thorough going-over may be in order. And given the 'bouncy-bouncy' way she responds to a sharp prod to any side, some new shock absorbers might also be on the list. I looked up the price of four Konis* - then I lay down for a while in a darkened room!

While she hasn't yet lived up to the 'Moneypitt' moniker, the day may soon be upon us ...

*that would be more than A$800.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hii mate, Brendan here again. Glad to see that everything is still going well with you and Ms. Moneypitt - sorry to see you're finding out why they call them "Shockers" though, but I think you'll find that good shock absorbers are that expensive on any car.

Work on my little Daimler is progressing slowly. I was laid off recently in cutbacks at work, so my budget has gone to zero until I can get going again. Hopefully won't take too long.

I've also been shockingly slack at taking photos and updating my blog. I hope to correct this soon, though, as the sunny days are allowing me to get lots of hard work done.

The shell is nearly completely stripped, and I plan on bulding some shelves in the shed this weekend to better organise the piles of parts and panels. Its very satisfying to be working on a classic car like this, provided you're not actually relying on said car to get you around!

Well, its a good weekend right now, so I better get back to it. See ya mate. :-)

Dame Zara said...

G'day Brendan,

Sorry to hear about your job - but think of at as time to work on the car! Sanding and preparing a car body for repainting is very time-consuming, I hear ;)

I did a good little(-ish) job today, fixing a nasty clunk in my front suspension by replacing the rubber/metal 'sandwiches' at the front of the front suspension subframe (visible just behind the front bumper). Once you get around to that part of the car, it's well worth jacking up the front wheels and putting the car on stands, then putting the jack under the spring pan of one front wheel and looking to see if the whole subframe moves up and down. If so, undoing six bolts and replacing two bushes costing $60 will fix it!

Anonymous said...

start saving for the konis they are worth the investment I also recomend the pertronics ignitor ignition systerm I am enjoying your blog cheers Paul