Sunday, September 03, 2006

All brand new



There, that's better. Safe, flexible fuel lines that won't split suddenly and pump petrol all over the engine; and a t-piece that won't burst. (I probably should have done this before driving 1000 miles last week!)

I did have a bit of a 'moment' putting it all back together, though. After carefully tightening everything up and reconnecting all the throttle and choke linkages (or so I thought), topping up the radiator to replace the coolant that came out when I undid the t-piece, and turning the ignition on to pump fresh fuel through the filter and into the carbs (and checking that it wasn't leaking anywhere), I hit the starter ... and vroom! She was 'idling' at about 2000rpm!

After scratching my head for a bit, I worked out that I'd connected one of the short throttle linkages the wrong way around and it was holding the throttle open on one carb. After putting it back to rights and giving the slow running screw the tiniest tweak, all was serene.

But just to test, I went for a quick spin around Royal Park, including (I must admit) a few fish-tails in the gravel carpark at the rear of the Zoo ... don't tell anyone! Definitely plenty of power getting to the back wheels ;)

No comments: